Not all of us are amateur mechanics, but there are a few things average people can do to extend the life of their cars. Here are a few easy maintenance tips that anyone can follow to lengthen the useable years of his or her vehicle:
* Start with your owner’s manual. Here you will find all the major recommended maintenance suggestions. Each car is different and this should be your starting point.
* Pay attention to your tires. Keeping tires properly inflated and following suggested rotation intervals will help you get more life out of your tires and keep the systems that connect to them in good shape.
* Change your oil at the recommended interval. Again, consult your owner’s manual, as oil change intervals vary by model
* If you have indoor parking, use it. Protecting your car from the elements is one of the easiest ways to maintain it.
* Respond to issues with your brakes. The longer you ignore squeaky or grinding brakes, the more likely you are to damage rotors, calipers and other parts of your braking system.
Properly maintaining your car will not only allow you to get more use out of it, but will allow you to fetch a better price when you sell. And, if you ever have any questions about the maintenance of your vehicle, check with your local mechanic or body shop.