According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 59% of car seats are used improperly.
The NHTSA is on a mission to change this statistic.
This week, September 17-23, is “Child Passenger Safety Week.” Rounding out the week is “National Seat Check Saturday” this Saturday, September 23.
This public awareness campaign, led by the NHTSA, helps parents, grandparents, other relatives and caregivers:
- Distinguish between car seat types so they can choose the right car seat
- Find and compare car seats using the Car Seat Finder
- Learn how to install and use car seats correctly
- Find car seat inspection locations
- Register car seats to get the latest recall alerts and safety notices
Car seat safety is critical. Please take advantage of the resources provided by the NHTSA. The difference between properly using a car seat (or, for older children, wearing a seat belt) and not is, in many cases, staggering.