If you’re in the market to buy a salvage vehicle – whether you’re a rebuilder in need of a project or a dismantler looking for parts – Copart has a vehicle for you. With over 125,000 vehicles up for auction each day and plenty of helpful filters to narrow your search, you’re sure to find exactly what you’re looking for!
Because there are so many vehicles to available, the bidding and buying process tends to be overwhelming. By following these simple instructions on “How to Buy” below, you’ll feel more confident joining one of Copart’s online auto auctions:
To start bidding and buying with Copart, you must first become a Member. Register here for a free Basic Membership, which gives you the Buying Power of $1,000. Buying Power is the total amount you can bid on a vehicle. Within minutes of submitting the registration form, you will be sent a confirmation email containing your login information and password. Be sure to sign in within 7 days to activate your Membership!
Basic Members start with $1,000 in Buying Power. If you wish to place a bid on a vehicle that exceeds your Buying Power, you must either add a deposit or upgrade to Premier Membership.
Deposits are required to be at least 10% of the desired bid amount. Adding a deposit is the best choice for Copart Buyers who wish to only purchase one vehicle.
Premier Membership is the best choice for most Copart Buyers intending to purchase multiple vehicles. This Membership gives you substantial Buying Power without having to keep adding deposits in order to place your bid.
Each state in the U.S. has specific licensing requirements that denote the license needed to buy certain vehicles in that state. For example, if you were interested in purchasing a vehicle located in Maine, per Maine’s licensing requirements, you would need to either bid with a business license or with the assistance of a Broker.
The Search Toolbar is the best place to start your search on Copart. Simply enter a description, VIN or Lot Number in the toolbar at the top of any Copart page. The Vehicle Finder also allows you to filter out the exact type of vehicle that peaks your interest. You can filter by make, model, year – even engine and fuel type!
You don’t need to be logged in to view an auction, but you will need to sign in (or register if you are not a Member) to place a bid. Once you’ve signed in, click on the Auctions tab to see a list of Today’s Auctions, where you can jump directly into ongoing live online auctions, and the Auctions Calendar to view future auctions. There are a handful of other entry points for auctions as well, including the Copart homepage, Member Dashboard and individual Location pages.
There are three primary methods of bidding in Copart auctions:
- Preliminary Bidding – Once the vehicle is listed on Copart’s website, Copart Members can place preliminary bids (‘pre-bids’) on vehicles at any time up to one hour before the start of the live auction. Pre-bids will be represented during the live auction and could be the winning bid if no other bidder submits a higher bid during either the pre-bid phase or the live auction. If there is a tie between pre-bid and live bid amounts, the virtual (live) bidder prevails as the highest bidder on the item.
- Live Bidding – Bidders can bid live against other Members during a virtual auction. If a Member’s bid is the highest when the circular, dynamic countdown timer stops, the Member wins the sale of the vehicle (pending sale approval from Seller).
- Buy It Now – Members can bypass the virtual auction of certain vehicles labeled Buy It Now. Bids can still be placed on these vehicles, but Members can also purchase them immediately for a predetermined price listed on the vehicle’s Lot Details page.
There are several convenient payment options for you to choose from after winning your vehicle including wire transfer, MoneyGram, cash and debit/credit cards. If you prefer to pick up your vehicles in person, here are five things to remember:
- Schedule pick-up during normal business hours.
- Have ready the Member Number and lot number(s) of the vehicle(s) being picked up.
- Loading is first-come, first-served.
- Flatbed trucks are recommended for safe transportation of your vehicles.
- All heavy and medium duty lots are self-load only.
Please note: Copart does not currently offer international shipping options. We recommend exploring third-party shipping options before bidding on a vehicle.